Radiant floor heating might seem like a luxury, but there are actually many great reasons why it’s worth switching to radiant floor heating. These systems don’t just heat the floor you walk on, the heat generated beneath the floor rises and heats the entire room. Heartland Heating, Air, and Plumbing has experience installing heated floors in homes all over Southern Illinois, and we can improve your homes with radiant floor heating too. Keep reading to learn more about radiant floor heating.
What Is Radiant Heating?
A radiant floor heating system works by transferring heat through the floor instead of the air. It is incredibly energy efficient and provides excellent comfort in rooms. Under the floor is a series of tubes or panels that either contain a hot fluid or an electric current that heats up the surface of the floor. The heat rises from the floor and warms the rest of the room. Radiant floor heating is incredibly popular among homes with large ceilings and large open spaces that air source heat methods can struggle to heat efficiently.
There are three kinds of radiant floor heating systems:
- Hydronic systems: These systems use hot water to heat the surfaces, and are typically installed beneath the floor.
- Electric systems: These systems use electric currents to heat the surfaces, and are typically installed in the floors or walls. They are the easiest to install, but they use more electricity than hydronic systems.
- Hybrid systems: These systems use a combination of water and electricity, and are becoming increasingly popular among homeowners.
Benefits of Radiant Floor Heating Systems
Besides never having to worry about stepping on cold floors with bare feet anymore, radiant floor heating provides many other benefits.
- Efficiency: Although there is a high cost associated with installing radiant heating, you’ll find that the energy savings offset the cost. Radiant floor heating is incredibly energy efficient. There is a much smaller chance of heat loss with a radiant heating system than a traditional HVAC system
- Comfort: Radiant floor heating creates a much more even temperature throughout the house. Air is often less dry in homes with radiant heat systems.
- Better Indoor Air Quality: Radiant heating systems do not use air ducts to heat the home. Dust and allergens hide in air ducts and then spread from room to room when your HVAC system blows air. Radiant floor heating provides less dust and better indoor air quality.
- Saves Space: Radiant floor heating systems do not require wall-mounted radiators or large appliances that take up space in their homes. Your heating system is hidden under your floor.
- Versatility: Radiant floors can be made of any material and can be customized to fit any style of flooring. Whether your home has carpet, tile, laminate, or concrete floors, you can have radiant floor heating installed in your home.
What if My Radiant Floor Heating System Stops Working?
If you ever notice that your radiant floor heating system is not making your home as comfortable as you expect it to be, the team at Heartland is here to help. Luckily, radiant floor heating systems are one of the most durable and long-lasting heating system options for your home. These systems tend to last 20 years or more and do not require regular maintenance. Homeowners seldom report ever needing to repair their radiant floor heating systems. However, if there ever is an issue, you can count on the team at Heartland to fix it.
Talk to Heartland to Learn More About Installing Radiant Heating In Your Carbondale Are Home
Heartland Heating Air and Plumbing is your source for home comfort technology. If you’re building a new home, remodeling an older home that doesn’t have air ducts, or are just looking for ways to save on your heating bills, talk to Heartland about radiant floor heating. We can help you decide if radiant floor heating would be a good fit for your home and provide you with an estimate on installation. Give Heartland a call today to learn more.