Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon monoxide circulating in your home can lead to serious injury or even death if it reaches dangerous levels. Since carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odorless gas, it’s especially dangerous because you can inhale it without even knowing it. Installing a carbon monoxide detector is a good way to ensure the safety of your indoor air quality and to keep your household protected from this silent killer.

A carbon monoxide detector uses sensors to measure the amount of CO in your home and sounds off an alarm before it reaches unsafe levels, giving you enough time to evacuate the area. Call Heartland Heating, Air & Plumbing about carbon monoxide detector services in Murphysboro, IL. Our team can help you install sensors throughout the house and make sure they are in the correct locations to ensure proper awareness and safety in your home.

How Does a Carbon Monoxide Detector Work?

A carbon monoxide detector is a device that measures and detects the presence of carbon monoxide gas in your home. Because carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and toxic gas, you won’t be able to detect it on your own. This can lead to prolonged exposure that can cause permanent injury or even death. Carbon monoxide detectors are designed to measure CO levels in your home over time and sound an alarm before a dangerous amount of CO enters your home.

Carbon monoxide can mix with the air in your home through a number of gas-burning appliances. Your water heater, furnace, gas fireplace, stove, and clothes dryer could develop issues that would cause carbon monoxide leaks in your home. It's important to install these sensors near these appliances to give you a quick warning of potential leaks. Your car can also let carbon monoxide into your home. If you leave the car running while the garage door is closed, carbon monoxide could leak into your home. Always make sure to have fresh air circulate around your car whenever you are running it in the garage. Never start your car in a closed garage. It's a good idea to put detectors near doors with access to the garage as well. 

A carbon monoxide detector uses sensors to keep you protected by constantly monitoring the amount of this toxic and deadly gas in your home. It can be easily installed into any wall or ceiling in your home, as long as it’s five feet above the ground and not set over any flame-producing appliance.

Benefits of Carbon Monoxide Detectors

A carbon monoxide detector can alert you before dangerous levels of CO accumulate in your Murphysboro, IL home. This will give you enough time to evacuate before suffering serious injury or death from carbon monoxide poisoning. 

  • Early warning. A carbon monoxide detector can detect traces of CO in your Murphysboro, IL home before it reaches dangerous levels. The alarm is also loud enough that it can be heard throughout your home and wake you if you’re asleep. This early warning gives you and your household enough time to escape the toxic gas and call the fire department.
  • Detects accumulating CO levels. A carbon monoxide detector can detect CO levels building up over time before people start experiencing symptoms. Initial symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness, and confusion. Extended exposure can cause loss of consciousness or even death.
  • Warns of CO gas leaks. It’s best to place a carbon monoxide monitor near appliances that use gas, as these are common causes of CO leaks. This allows you to easily open nearby windows, cut the appliance’s power, or get outside the house to stay safe if the alarm goes off.
  • Stability with changing weather conditions. The electronic components of carbon monoxide detectors and their alarms are able to maintain stability in changing environmental conditions, so you can depend on them no matter what the weather is like outdoors. This stability keeps false alarms from going off and keeps the carbon monoxide detector’s internal components from failing.

Carbon Monoxide Detector Symptoms

Initial symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness, and confusion. You also may feel flu-like symptoms. While you’re sleeping, there may not even be any advanced symptoms. The best way to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning is by installing a carbon monoxide detector in your home that will detect CO in the air before it reaches unsafe levels.

Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can cause serious injury, unconsciousness, and even death. Carbon monoxide is also an odorless and tasteless gas, so you might not be able to detect it in time. 

Not only is it a smart idea to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home, but you'll also want to test them frequently as well. Every detector will have a test button on it. Make it a habit to test your sensors or change their batteries if they're battery-powered every six months or every daylight savings time. It's not just enough to have these detectors in your home, you also need to make sure they're in working order. If you test your detectors and find they are not working, talk to Heartland about repairs or replacement services.

Call Heartland for Carbon Monoxide Detector Installation in Murphysboro, IL

A carbon monoxide detector is the best way to detect traces of CO present in your home before it reaches dangerous levels. This early warning allows you to safely escape before experiencing any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, or worse. The experienced technicians at Heartland Heating, Air & Plumbing are here to help keep residents of Murphysboro, IL safe from carbon monoxide poisoning by installing a carbon monoxide detector in their homes, as well as offer inspections of your current detectors to make sure they are working properly.  Contact us today to see how a carbon monoxide detector can protect your air system from toxic CO gas.